Sunday, August 1, 2010

How do you say "Baby Shower" in Spanish?

Exactly the same way as you do in English, but with a Spanish accent! I had the pleasure of attending one a week ago last Friday, for the one of the wives of one of John's colleagues. It was a tea at 4 in the afternoon, at a place where people have teas for such occasions (or birthdays or other occasions). While quite a few of the women speak nearly perfect English, the event was all in Spanish (except the car ride there and back). It was good practice for me, though at times it was impossible to follow the conversation. The ladies were animated enough that they could make me laugh even when I couldn't follow the conversation!

Unfortunately, I was checking back in with John at around 6:30 only to find out that I had mistakenly taken both sets of keys with me! I was in a dead spot at the party place, so I hadn't received his phone calls. Fortunately another woman who was leaving the party early was able to give me a ride home because the plan had been that John and the girls were going out to a restaurant for dinner (at 7 since that's when the restaurants open for dinner) but they couldn't leave until I got home with the keys. So, I missed the gift opening, but probably had followed about as much Spanish as my brain could handle for an afternoon. I look forward to the day when I can understand more!

No comments:

Post a Comment