Well, I wouldn't have guessed it, but it turns out that we actually look like we belong here. Last weekend when I was in the grocery store, a gentleman in the baking aisle asked me about which flour would be better for a diabetic - as if I belonged:) (in Spanish, of course). That NEVER would have happened in Costa Rica. But here there is such a large population of German descent (and I think also German ex-pats) that we actually look like we belong. We've visited a few churches and today and last week we went to a Mennonite church (also in Spanish), where there were quite a few blond haired families. There are apparently many more Germans here than there are Americans.
Besides the German population, there is a fairly large Asian population - mainly Korean, but other nationalities as well. In Arianna's class of 16, 11 are Asian. Most of them are TCK's (third culture kids) like she is, but I think that one of them is a Paraguaya of Asian descent. Someone told John that at some point Korea was trying to lower it's population and Paraguay was trying to raise theirs and so they came to some favorable agreement for immigration. But, most of the kids at Asuncion Christian Academy are just embassy kids like Arianna, or missionary kids like Abby's friend Ali who goes to school there too.
No comments:
Post a Comment