Saturday, November 9, 2013

UN Day

I've been falling a little behind here on the blog - in part because I'm starting to think that if I don't start publishing my photos in a different way the blog is going to be full.  The last post I wanted to do was all full of pictures, so instead I'm reporting on an event from yesterday while I sort out the photo issue.

The UN day celebration this year was special for me because it featured a lot of music.  Here are two of the violinists in their country dress:

Not only did the celebration feature music, but it was started off by a solo in the spotlight by Abigail, soon joined by two of the other violinists as they came down through the auditorium.  After they reached the stage, the curtain went up and showed the orchestra ready and waiting to join the soloists.  It was a great moment and Abigail did a great job.

Later in the performance I joined the girls in their string quartet since their cellist is on leave from school this semester.  I was especially happy about that performance because Arianna had a rather serious concussion the previous Saturday (after falling off a horse while jumping) and had been on doctor's orders to rest for a week.  The UN Day performance was the first real "back to normal" thing she did and I am incredibly thankful that she is recovering well.
The ceremony ended with the flag parade - which is always an impressive display of the many countries represented at HIS - and the national anthem (of Zimbabwe, of course) .  After the ceremony we once again enjoyed food from the many nations - a great end to a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment