Sunday, November 24, 2013

Cottage Industries

While our kids undoubtedly think that there is more to do in Zimbabwe than there was in Paraguay, there is still a sense that entertainment is not exactly abundant.  So one thing that occurs frequently are fairs - at schools or various properties here in the northern suburbs - which are mostly for small merchants to show their goods.

At one of these fairs (the one at HIS), I discovered that a woman I know runs one of these cottage industries.  When it came time to buy a gift for some pianists at our recital, I decided to try to patronize her shop.  When I asked her where it was located, it turned out that it wasn't her shop but rather a workshop where they also sell retail.   I went with a friend of mine and it was fun to see where they make the pottery from start to finish.  Here's one of the items I bought:

The funny thing is you can't ever find the info for any of these businesses on the internet.   Since the most recent phone book we have is 2006, I'm not sure where you can find out about the businesses unless you know the owners or go to the fairs.   

No comments:

Post a Comment