Sunday, October 27, 2013

Two Firsts

This month I've had two firsts here in Zimbabwe - First visit to a mall - an actual mall that is.  Usually if we shop we go to Sam Levy's Village which is a series of shops (it was built in several phases) with outside access to all of them.  So I ended up at the mall downtown for Arianna's PSAT exam!  The Embassy's office of Educate USA is located there and that was where she had her exam.  When we got there I realized it was the first time I'd been in a mall here.  It's a pretty funky building - you can read about it here:  http://inhabitat.com/building-modelled-on-termites-eastgate-centre-in-zimbabwe/.  Or search on Eastgate Centre Harare.

So, my other first was at the Westgate Shopping Centre where we went to see a movie.  John and I went with Abigail and one of her friends to see Gravity last night.  It wasn't my favorite movie but I enjoyed seeing the Westgate Centre - it looked pretty nice though it was hard to tell at night.  We went to an 8 pm show - and it was almost empty.  No late shows here!

1 comment:

  1. I am not a mall shopper either. I never just shop a Villamora, I'm usually there for the theater. Speaking of movies, we just went and saw Gravity the other day as well. I didn't love it either. Glad to see you are still experiencing firsts. I hope to squeeze in a few more before we leave here as well.

    ReplyDelete