OK, so it's not at all raining out (I don't think there's been a single drop since we got back over a month ago). But we've been inundated with great musicians from America (as the US is called here!). There is a concert series here that has been underutilized in the recent past but happily had it's first concert in about a year because there was an American Piano Trio that was doing a tour in the region. It turns out that they are from Pittsburgh! And that I've played with the cellist in at least one symphony (and probably more). When I saw the promotional material I wasn't totally sure but when she walked out on stage I was!
The trio (Trio Nova Mundi) was great and two of the members were able to come over the morning after the concert to join Arianna and me for breakfast (one of the benefits of online schooling). It was great to hear a bit more of the story of their journey to Africa for a tour before they left the country for their last concert at Oprah Winfrey's school for girls in South Africa and then headed back to Pittsburgh.
So, the same day they arrived in Harare, an expert Suzuki teacher who did the first teacher training here in Harare also arrived. She stayed for a week, spending time with the woman who runs the program at the International School here (Ivy Decker Jones). She did three days of parent talks and Arianna attended them all (another one of those benefits of online school) which is great since she is continuing to teach. I think it inspired her to do Suzuki teacher training when she is eligible (you have to be a high school graduate or 18). Unfortunately, her visit coincided with the Explore Zimbabwe trips so the HIS students in middle school and high school missed the opportunity to work with her, but I think there are plans for her to return to Zimbabwe in the near future.
The day all of these people arrived in Harare happened to also be the day that I had the chance to be part of a concert of a departing Japanese pianist. She had been here for two years and wanted to do a farewell concert and include some chamber music. So a local violinist and I joined her in three movements from Mendelssohn Trio No. 1 which is one of my favorites.
No comments:
Post a Comment