This one gets a bit gruesome at times and focuses more on the war than Don't Lets Go to the Dogs Tonight which I wrote about previously. This also gives an account of what happened to the Ndebele people (one of the two main people groups here) after the war, which is probably the most gruesome part of the book.
My favorite Zimbabwe book so far is The Last Resort by Douglas Rogers. I think I enjoyed it most because it focuses on the more recent history of the land invasions, which is the era that we are still living in. So often we hear people say "When we lost the farm....". Well the land invasions have recently struck closer to home since the farm where Arianna rides has been invaded and the horses removed. She has only been able to ride once in the last month.
Whenever I talk to Zimbabweans about these books (or even Americans who have been here a long time) someone inevitably knows the author. I guess since they are all white authors (which is a relatively small close knit community). Now it would be nice to read something from a black author's perspective...
No comments:
Post a Comment