Sunday, May 12, 2013

Market

Mbere is the name of the area where the real market is here in Harare.  I've only been twice - it's a bit far and a lot bigger than going to the little farmer's market in Asuncion (which I did almost every week).  The first time I went was on a tour that the international school's moms organized for newcomers and I wasn't really prepared to buy a lot.  Happily, my friend Helen offered to take me again a few weeks ago and it was great fun!  It was especially nice to go with Helen because she is African by birth and has a better feel for how to manage an African market than I do.

Her maid, Susan joined us and helped us haul some things back to the car - African style:
(that is my "pocket" of butternut squash on her head)

Helen bought some peanuts and she brought me some which she had cooked, Southern Style (or African Style) - boiled! They were good!

No comments:

Post a Comment