Well, except for one detail, our shipment situation is better than most people in our situation. After all, we had two cars arrive at post just a few weeks after we did. And we had an air shipment arrive from the US in the first couple of weeks. As I write this now, I'm waiting for our "big" shipment - the HHE (I can never remember exactly what it stands for, but it's basically household effects).
So, what's the problem? Well, the air shipment (called a UAB in foreign services terms) from Paraguay that was packed out the same day as HHE is still not here. As you can imagine, an air shipment is quite a bit more expensive to send than a boat/land shipment (which is how our HHE arrives). How can it possibly take LONGER to deliver an air shipment from South America to Africa than a boat/land shipment? This is a question that remains unanswered, as our UAB probably remains in Kenya. If it weren't for the fact that my cello is in it (we sent it thinking it would be safer and easier than taking it in luggage on all the flights) I probably wouldn't care at this point. I can't even remember what we decided to put in air vs sea except the cello and a few things the girls needed for their Explore Zim trip that they took two weeks ago!! I'm sorry to say that these are our (yours and ours!) tax dollars at work.
Once the HHE shipment gets delivered I'll be busy unpacking so I'm going to publish this rambling post before it's totally out of date!
No comments:
Post a Comment