Wednesday, September 5, 2012

School Trips


At HIS (Harare International School) the students in 6th -12th grades take a weeklong trip primarily for team building purposes.  I think the 4th and 5th graders also take a trip, but it’s only a few days long.
It is up to the trip leader (a teacher) to decide where the students will go, but it seems like they generally try to do the same trips in each grade year after year.  I’m glad that it worked out for the 7th and 10th graders to do their traditional trips this year because they look pretty cool.

7th grade is spending the week at Inganyana Bush Camp whichis out near Hwange National Park.  It was a long bus ride (they said it would take 11 hours since they adhere to a very low speed limit), but it looks like a great experience to see the work that is being done on conservation of an endangered species (Painted Dog).  One of the teachers who has gone on the trip before said she tried to arrange a visit for some people that were visiting her here and she was told that they are only open for school trips!  For all of my animal loving friends out there if you google on inganyana bush camp you should see a PDF document that shows a bit more about the camp.  I lent Abigail my camera because she should get to see a wide variety of animals while she is there.

10th grade is going to Far and Wide which is and outdoor adventure team leadership program.  This one is open to families, so if you come to visit us, maybe we can plan a trip!  Outdoor adventure isn't exactly Arianna's favorite thing, so I'm hoping she enjoys the team leadership part and maybe learns to like a bit of adventure too!  She does enjoy being in a camp setting (thanks to her experiences with her Girl Scout troop)
so I also hope she enjoys the location, which is supposed to be beautiful.  Here is the link to the place where she is: http://www.farandwide.co.zw/

The trips started on Monday since the school doesn't have off for the minor American holidays.  The girls both get home on Friday and I can't wait to hear how it went!


No comments:

Post a Comment