Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Italian Knighthood (How I spent my birthday)


A newly knighted Florisa Magambi

Since my birthday falls in July I am usually in one of my two beloved spots - Ogontz Suzuki Camp or Westport, MA - with old friends or family around. Preferring not to spend my birthday alone in Malawi, I was thrilled to receive an invitation to attend the knighting of a new friend. It was the perfect way to celebrate my birthday African style. I traveled with 3 other expats out to Dzaleka Refugee Camp where Florisa Magambi was knighted by the Italian Ambassador (who came from where he serves in neighboring Zambia). John tells me about official events that he attends so it was fun to see for myself how they run in Malawi (lots of protocol!). Fortunately, the speeches weren't too long and the event was interspersed with drumming and dancing from the Burundian dance team. The guys on the team were all born in the refugee camp.

Florisa joining in the dance

Dancer greeting the Italian Ambassador

Florisa was knighted for her work with the refugees - in particular for her work with Kibébé which is a social business providing work opportunities through artisan products. More on Dzaleka after we make another trip there to the camp and to meet the artisans tomorrow. 

One of my friends in the car checked her Facebook on our way out to the camp and discovered it was my birthday. This is the same social friend who organized a group to attend our concert in April and was John's social sponsor when he arrived. She did a great job of celebrating me on my birthday - telling everyone we saw that it was my birthday and treating me to lunch after the ceremony.

For our evening celebration John took me to a new restaurant in the neighborhood (a Mexican place with good Margaritas) where I was further celebrated when one of the waitstaff noticed my gift box and card that I had brought with me to open at dinner. They brought out a complimentary dessert with candles and sang Happy Birthday! A great way to end a great birthday!






No comments:

Post a Comment