Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Working with the orphans

Before we arrived in Zimbabwe, I was in contact with a woman who runs a Suzuki violin program at Harare International School (where our girls go to school).  It turns out that she also runs a Suzuki program for a group of orphans through her church.  She had recently received some cellos (previously they had only played violin) and was excited that I might be able to work with them.

Since our arrival, I have been working with the cellists about twice a month.  In December they prepared for playing some carols at the church in the lobby before their Christmas musical.  My favorite moment in getting ready for the performance was when they asked if they could add The First Noel to the list, which they had figured out all on their own!  

Photos from the final rehearsal:





Photo from the performance:

Video:

3 comments:

  1. Amy,
    Just happened upon this, and I hope you and your family have had a smooth re-entry to Zimbabwe!

    Our church group is excited about coming in August and serving with Dare2Serve's conference Aug 14-16th and the Jacksons, who you really must meet. They are the most engaging, dynamic missionaries I've ever encountered, and we feel privileged to be led so well by them.

    Again, blessings to your family. I'm a bit jealous of you getting to live in Zim, especially in January!
    Love the pictures of your life there,
    Warmly,
    Bob Myers, Pastor Covenant church

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob,

      We have had a smooth reentry and have definitely enjoyed Zimbabwe in January (and now February!).

      We will look forward to your visit in August and also the opportunity to meet the Jacksons. Do you know how many people will be coming and what your arrival date is?

      Cheers!
      Amy

      Delete
  2. I wish I could take the kid with the Busch Gardens t-shirt home with me!!

    Glad things are going so well.

    ReplyDelete