This blog is a record of some of our experiences as a family when we are living outside of the United States. It is here mostly for us to give our friends and family in the US and around the world a glimpse of our lives away from all of you, so feel free to comment and let me know what you'd like to hear about.
Sunday, September 4, 2011
Pierced Ears
A while ago we gave Arianna earrings for Christmas and told her she could get her ears pierced. Well, she decided that she wanted to have it done while we were in the US this summer. The day before our flight back to Paraguay, we went to the mall - with two cousins and two aunts and she got it done! Although it hurt a bit, she didn't flinch. For the first few days, she had a little soreness, but things went well.
By the end of the first week, there were signs of infection. She was taking good care of the ears, so we weren't quite sure what was going on. She used some antibacterial ointment, and things got a bit better. But, then they really took a turn for the worse. I won't go into details, but we finally went to see the doctor, who thought that she had an allergic reaction to the earring (we suspect the backs, because the posts were gold, but the backs weren't). He said the earrings should come out and stay out for 10 days. At first the doctor couldn't get the earring out and he thought that maybe they were special earrings that she would need to go to a jeweler to get them removed (we weren't agreeing with that idea, but they were hard to get off and no one wanted to hurt her). It took quite a bit of tugging and a nurse to get the first earring out. After he was sure that it did come out, he got the second one off without too much effort.
So, when I got home I called the woman at Claire's who pierced her ears and explained what had happened. I asked her how long it would be before the holes started to close up. She said it would take 24 hours to 5 days. Well, after all we had already gone through, both Arianna and I wanted to try to keep the holes, so I asked her what we could do. She said use the old fashioned trick of string or straw. We opted for string (strung through with a needle). A couple of times the string came out (at first I told Arianna to just leave them loose without tying them - bad idea), and sometimes I thought the holes might be getting small, so she used the earrings a little. After several weeks of string and occasional earring posts (no backs), plus good cleaning and cortisone cream, the ears are finally all better, and Arianna has actually gotten to change the earrings!
I don't think Abigail will be asking for pierced ears anytime soon....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Aargh! Teresa just got her ears pierced at Claire's too. A friend of mine had real problems like the ones of which you speak, and Katie just had her third try (she's 16) at a... Tattoo Parlor, because they are actually much cleaner! Yipes! I guess it's an allergy to nickel. I hope things work out.
ReplyDeleteWhile reading this, I realized that I never got the end of the story. Glad it went well. Arianna is a lot braver than her Aunt Lisa!
ReplyDelete