Have you ever wondered what time it is in Paraguay compared to where you live? Well, the answer is - it's complicated. Or, it depends - on what the date is. Our time zone is UTC (formerly GMT) plus 5. Compared to the East Coast of the US which is UTC plus 4. So, right now, we are an hour ahead of the East Coast.
When we arrived in July, however, Paraguay was in Daylight Savings Time. Because it was winter. So we were actually the same time as the East Coast. At the beginning of October our DST ended, so we are an hour ahead. But on Sunday the US moves to Daylight Savings Time (as it goes into winter), at which point we will be two hours ahead. And it will remain that way until either 1. Paraguay goes into DST or 2. The US leaves DST (I'm not sure which happens first). (Did I mention it was complicated?)
Is anyone surprised that we are ahead of the US? I know that I just couldn't get my arms around that fact the first time I traveled to South America, some 20+ years ago. I really thought that South America was south of the US and it wasn't until I took a good look at the map that I saw how far east it is! Nothing helps bad geography skills as much as traveling...
No comments:
Post a Comment